Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What's with all the dead animals?

For some reason, dead animals seem to be a major theme in my life right now:

1. A couple of weeks ago, I was innocently riding my bike along Main Street when suddenly a giant dead rat appeared in the middle of the sidewalk on which I was riding. Luckily, I swerved out of the way just enough to avoid riding over it, but it caused such fright in me that I nearly fell off my bike from hysteria.

2. Because we hate traffic and construction, dad and I have been driving the new Legacy Highway to work lately to avoid the I-15 route. One of our favorite games to play while driving is called "count how many dead animals are on the side of the road" I'm not sure why the number of roadkill is so astronomical on this particular highway, but it makes for a good game, despite how disgusting it really is. Our record is 21 dead animals in just a short, 20 minute drive.

3. We have never had a mouse problem in the thirteen years we have lived in our home. However, ever since the new neighbors, who own close to 17 cats, moved in a few weeks ago we've had a little bit of a problem. It first started when these obnoxious cats started to roam around the neighborhood (note: if you own a cat, keep it to yourself. Not all of your neighbors love your little furball as much as you do) We began finding little tufts of hair all around the yard: Cat hair or mouse hair? Still a mystery. Although the recent discovery of hair gave me a little fright, I was able to stay calm and collected for the most part. It wasn't until little brother, Preston, found a dead mouse in the back yard, that I truly began to fear for my life. Shortly after, he stumbled upon another dead mouse, this time on the driveway, claiming that this one had "guts spilling out everywhere." On top of that, three different neighbors have found a mouse in their house, a mouse in their garage, and mouse poop on their front porch, respectively. I'm not sure if we've always had mice around and now that cats are present we are just starting to find their remains or if these cats are bringing their prey in from outside sources. Either way, I'm not a fan. I've reached the point on the fear scale where I look out the window for a good five minutes before going outside, examining every square inch of my yard for cats or mice, dead or alive. After I decide the coast is clear, I sprint faster than Asafa Powell to the car, slam the doors shut, and push the lock button all in one swift movement. This is a very real fear; I have never been more frightened in my life than I am right now. The majority of my nighttime prayers consist of me pleading that mice wont crawl in my bed and eat my flesh while I sleep.

I think in heaven, rats, cats, mice and dead animals will not be present. What a perfect life that would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment