Friday, November 20, 2009

Strike a Pose

Today as I was walking home from campus I passed in front of the HRCB just as a group of six professionals were exiting the building. They must have been involved in some important meeting or conference because they were all dressed in formal business attire: well tailored suits and panty hoes with high heels. Each one of the six people were of a different nationality each with their own unique accent. One woman appeared to be a Scandinavian, one man had an English accent, one man was from an African nation, another woman represented Russia, they referred to one man as "Mexico" and another one seemed to be of Asian descent. Just as I was passing by, the Scandinavian woman asked me if I would mind taking a picture for them. I readily agreed and she gave me her iPhone to snap the picture with. Seconds later I was handed two more iPhones from the English and African men. As I snapped three photos in a row and began returning the expensive devices, the six very professional looking and businesslike men and women asked me if I could take just one more. This time a "funny picture." I said that I didn't mind and snapped one more photo as four men in shirts and ties and two women in business suits and high heels pulled faces and stroke (striked? struck?) poses similar to the ones that are made in the high school dance group pictures at Viewmont High. As soon as the camera clicked they each offered me a sincere thank you and I continued on my way. Walking home I thought about this event that had just occurred and tried to imagine my father and uncles and a few more of their associates leaving a meeting and asking a passerby to take a "funny picture." And I just couldn't imagine it happening.
It is comforting to know, however, that adults from various parts of the world, no matter how distinguished still feel a need and desire to be silly sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. This story just made my day...let's hope we grow up to be those kinds of professionals.

    ReplyDelete