Saturday, January 9, 2010

It's Official

I LOVE all things Jerusalem. I've been here now for three days and can't get enough of it. It is truly the most amazing place I have ever been. I just feel so blessed to be able to live here for the next four months; I'm not sure how I got so lucky.
The Jerusalem Center is completely breathtaking. It is located on the crossroads of Mt. Scopis and the Mount of Olives and when we go into the Old City and look up it almost looks like a temple. The spirit in the JC is so strong all the time. We live on floors 3 and 4 and our classes, lounges, cafeteria, library and church are on floors 6-8. We have patios in our rooms the overlook the entire Old City and East Jerusalem with a perfect view of the Dome of the Rock (speaking of, I'm going there tomorrow morning with a group of people, can't wait to see it up close) All of the rooms in the center have tons of windows so we are always looking over the city. I absolutely love it here! All of the people here are so fun and nice; we all are just in the same mindset of wanting to soak in the history of the people here and the history of the bible and the Saviors life.
We've been on a walking tour of the city and kind of saw an overview of everything. The difference between East and West Jerusalem is insane. You walk from one side to the other and it feels like a completely different world. East Jerusalem is the Palestinian/Muslim/Arab side which is a little more run down and third world-ish. They are the most friendly and nice people in the world and I love talking with and being around them. The West side is the Jewish side. It's a little more modern and European-like. The people are more reserved and keep to themselves. Yesterday a group of us went to Damascus Gate in East Jerusalem where there are a bunch of merchants and did a little shopping; We had to get back to the JC by sundown because thats when the Jewish Sabbath starts. As we were leaving there was a huge group of Orthodox Jews rushing to the wailing wall to welcome in the Sabbath. They all had either kippas or the top hats with their long curls on their sides bouncing as they ran. It kind of hit me there that I am in Jerusalem! It's so sureal, I can't even believe it.
Today, because we honor the Jewish Sabbath here, we had church. It was really good and fun to see the other members of the branch. Most of them are Americans who are here working for the American Consulate. After church a group of us went down to the Garden of Gethsemane. We had to go through the Orson Hyde Gardens to get there which were beautiful. We got to Gethsemane and walked through the gates and I was honestly a little disappointed. There was only a little square of garden blocked off by a gate; we couldn't even walk in the garden and it was busy with a lot of tourists, smoking and being really loud. There was a Catholic church right there and we walked through that for a little while. It wasn't what I had expected at all. I went with my friend Allison and she had heard that if we ask the guards they would take us to secret place in the garden. We went up to the guard and said, "We're the mormons, is there any place you can take us to in the garden?" He immediately grabbed his key (because they love the mormons here) and took all twenty or so of us to a private garden in Gethsemane. It was blocked off so it was just the BYU-JC students and we were able to all find an olive tree to sit under. Any disappointment I had felt before was completely gone; it was the most amazing place I have ever been in my life. I just sat there with tears streaming down my face while I just prayed and wrote in my journal. I have never felt more loved in my life. I was overwhelmed with gratitude and love for my Savior. It was so amazing and I am so excited to go back.
Tomorrow I'm going with a group of people to the Dome of the Rock, Ramparts walk, and to a very orthodox jewish neighborhood. I'm so excited to become more familiar with the city and see as much as I can.
I absolutely love it here and everyday I am realizing how blessed I am to be here.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so is it a sin if you are jealous of your own flesh and blood? Oh my goodness, soak it all up for me. I'm so grateful you are having this experience. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the whole jealousy thing. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete