Friday, January 23, 2009

My Experiences with Espanol

It's true, my four credit Spanish class has officially over come me and my thoughts. As I was strolling home from campus this afternoon I began fantasizing about various conversations I hope to have in the near future, all spoken in Spanish. Who fantasizes about that? I'll be the first to admit, though, that those imagined conversations revolved around a limited number of topics including:
  1. Personal Information (el numero de telefono, direccion, cuantos anos tienes, etc.)
  2. School (Cuantas clases tienes?, Que clase te gusta mas?, Esta estudias?, etc.)
  3. Family (Como es tu familia? Es bajo y simpatico y alegre, etc.)
  4. And finally, CARLOS

Carlos is my new best friend. He is a fictional character that plays a primary role in Spanish 101 (and rumor has it that he continues on to Spanish 102). Every day we are blessed to read about Carlos and his life (in Spanish of course). Here's what I know so far: He's from Argentina, is taking a trip to Mexico to live with his relatives for a while and will soon be studying at the Autonomous National University of Mexico. I even heard that he gets a girlfriend sometime; I can't wait to read about that juicy gossip! I feel a deep connection to Carlos and only wish that he wasn't fictional. Every day I read in anticipation of what will happen next in the life of Carlos Ortiz.

However, this class does hold benefits beyond reading about Carlos. The other day as I was studying in the library with my brother and his amigo, they decided to have an exclusive conversation in Spanish in hopes that I wouldn't understand. Unfortunately for them, I have learned enough Spanish vocabulary in the past three weeks that I was able to get the gist of the exchange. One day, I'll be able to pipe in with insights of my own in those chit-chats. For now though, I'm satisfied to be able to pick up just a little while eavesdropping.

4 comments:

  1. Stacie you make me laugh right out loud. So well written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say that some ten years after my own Spanish class, I still thrill when I hear the name of Carlos Ortiz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... if Carlos was born in Argentina but is living with his relatives in Mexico, which Spanish dialect are you learning here? European or Mexican Spanish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We get a little flavor of both. Luckily, on the airplane to Mexico Carlos sat next to Senor Lopez, a resident of Mexico, who so kindly explained to him the difference between Mexican and Argentine Spanish. So we get a taste of both, but I believe we are mainly learning the European dialect.

    ReplyDelete