Friday, June 19, 2009

Just a Quick Thought

Well, actually three:

  1. I love the dentist. Yes, I know, most normal human beings dread such a place. I, on the other hand, look forward to the semi-annual dental visit. Something about sitting on a reclined, blue, plastic chair with FM 100.3 tunes playing in the speaker above while the dentist scrapes away plaque and applies fluoride with a small tooth-drill onto my fragile teeth just brings a small grin to my face. There aren't many things in this world that feel better than running your tongue across your freshly cleaned and now smooth-as-glass teeth after the dentist removes the paper bib and tells you you're free to go. Luckily for me, I was able to experience this at 9:00 a.m. today. It was just as good as I remember it being six months ago. And I'll have you know, my dentist gave me the kindest compliment today when he told me that I have "perfect teeth." I guess all that brushing paid off.
  2. I love finals week. Finals week is a textbook example of feeling two vastly different emotions all within a relatively short amount of time. The night before finals is beyond stressful; trying to cram in any last minute mnemonics to help you remember that Chartres Cathedral was built in 1134 AD and various points of the Theory of Evolution. By the time the scheduled finals role around the next afternoon you've accepted the fact that you will be participating in academic bulimia: you've crammed in all the information and in just minutes you will be spitting it out on the paper. After filling in all 80 multiple choice questions you hand your bubble sheet to the scantron-lady at the testing center and all of the stress that has built up over the past week rushes out in one swift moment. It's one of the most satisfying and refreshing feelings I can think of and by the time you get to the screen one flight of stairs below that fatefully reveals your ID number and the corresponding test score, you are past the point of caring if it reads a less than stellar percentage. All you really care to do is put your ipod in and dance to your 'happy song' while devouring chocolate covered cinnamon bears to celebrate your completion of yet another semester. There's nothing like it. Love it.
  3. The eve of a vacation is full of the sweetest anticipation you could imagine; It's similar to that thrilling feeling you get every Christmas Eve. As I sit on my bed typing this post I'm looking at a fully packed suitcase just itching to be zipped up and loaded onto a plane headed for the Hawaiian Islands. I've got my camera battery fully charged, I've picked the book I'm going to read on the plane/beach {Gone With the Wind}, and I've packed far too many outfits for only eight days {you can never have too many options}. Sleep is not going to come easily for me tonight and I can guarantee that I will dream of soft sand inbetween my toes, warm ocean water and the delicious smell of fresh flowers. Wish me a safe travel and happy vacation.

2 comments:

  1. have the greatest time in hawaii!! take lots of photos for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I do feel some concern for you and your abnormal love for going to the dentist, I wish you a fun time on your trip!! It sounds magical. Also, you picked a great read.

    ReplyDelete