Thursday, June 4, 2009

While Laughing Up a Storm


This afternoon as I was driving to Salt Lake, I had the tunes blasting and I was jamming. Not just a subtle sing-a-long, but a full on jam session: head bobbing, upper body moving to the music, hands making gestures in accordance to the lyrics, and belting the words as if I were the next finalist on American Idol. Sometimes when I'm in the car with the windows rolled up, I forget that other drivers and passengers can see me. Today was one of those times. It wasn't until I casually glanced to my right and saw that the car next to me contained two, attractive male characters just a few years older than me. Yes, these men had caught me in the act and made that very clear by busting a gut laughing at me. It wasn't a small giggle or smile they were trying to suppress. Oh no, it was a deep-belly-head back-mouth open wide-eye watering-finger pointing at the source-kind of laugh. There was no mistaking the fact that I was the source of their entertainment. Immediately, I realized what I must have looked like to innocent bystanders and wholeheartedly admit that I deserved to be laughed at. Naturally, I joined in the fun and started laughing that exact same laugh that my fellow laughers were laughing. And let me tell you, it was near impossible to focus on the traffic I was in the midst of while participating in such a laugh. Oh, it was so delightful to have a successful jamming session and one of those deep, satisfying laughs all within the course of five minutes; that doesn't occur all that often, you know. And so, despite my slight embarrassment, I'm honored to say that I was able to provide those two men with such a hearty laugh. I can only hope that they're telling the story at the dinner table tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Haha That's wonderful that you can provide such mirth for people, Stacie. :) You are a really great writer; I really love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can just picture this happening. mostly, because we jammed like this often together. and that is why i love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 10, 2009

    Agreed, there is nothing better than having a good laugh at yourself. We all have jam sessions, perhaps that's what makes watching someone else's so funny, we realize how ridiculous we look when we do such things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a very gifted storyteller Stacie, and for that I envy you. But I'm not entirely sure I envy you for the situation you just detailed here (it happens to me all the time. I need to start adopting your sunny attitude towards it.)

    ReplyDelete