Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Do I Look Like I Speak French?

This afternoon I was on the fifth studying away and shortly after arriving, a girl wearing a red hat sat down at my table, and as library etiquette has it, she took the chair directly diagonal from me. It was a busy day on the fifth today and there came a point when all of the diagonals on the tables were filled, resulting in fellow students being forced to sit directly across/next to someone already residing at the table. This was the case with my table and soon a male character pulled up a chair next to my friend in the red hat. He must have seen that she was studying French and was delighted by this newfound information, so much so that he began chatting away with her in French. While he was thoroughly enjoying himself, she on the other hand was feeling highly uncomfortable and ended the conversation as rapidly as possible. Well, the girl in the red hat eventually packed up her bag and left the library. I was busy typing away on my computer with my headphones in listening to a little Miley when I heard this guy across the table speak to me. I hesitantly took out my headphones and asked him what he had said. He then repeated a phrase to me in French and when my face displayed complete confusion he shockingly asked, "Oh, do you not speak French?" No. No I do not. Do I look like I speak French? French. If it were Spanish I would be more understanding since I'm willing to bet that nearly 50% of students attending BYU speak it, but French? Just because the stranger in the red hat that happened to sit diagonal from me at the library speaks French does not mean that I do. I sadly revealed that unfortunately I am not bilingual and after a quick exchange of names I went back to writing about the Mexican War of Independence while nodding my head like yeah to Party in the USA. Later tonight as I was leaving my Humanities of Islam test review I walked past a bulletin board advertising a study abroad to Paris this winter. Since I apparently look like a natural in the French language maybe I should hit up that study abroad next year. Until then, my goal from now until the end of December is for some man in the library to start up a conversation with me in Arabic, assuming that I'm fluent and look shocked when I admit that I'm not. Fat chance of that happening, but it would make me feel more confident in my ability to pass my Arabic 101 class that I will be enrolled in come three months from yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment