Wednesday, October 21, 2009

In the Past 24 Hours

These are my five favorite things that have happened:
  1. I've realized that there aren't many things more satisfying than having a productive study session at the Harold and walking out feeling completely exhausted at midnight. First, that loud, booming voice comes over the intercom at precisely 11:45 announcing the closure of the library for the night and with a warning that "any unauthorized personnel who choose to remain in the building may be pressed with charges." (It's comforting to know that one of the police force's biggest concerns down here in happy valley is that students will want to study later than the library hours allow) After the man on the intercom ends his speech it's almost like all the students are participating in a well-rehearsed, choreographed show, because in one swift movement hundreds of backpacks are zipped and coats are buttoned throughout the library. But my favorite part is walking out of the atrium with a swarm of fellow students while they play a variety of tunes overhead. Last night was an invigorating rendition of Amazing Grace, complete with bagpipes. One time they played Broadway show tunes and that time, I couldn't help but dance my way out of the building.
  2. For my World Civilizations class we were assigned to write 8 papers by the end of the semester. The catch was that we could get extra credit if they were in by midterms. Due to two weddings, getting ready for a study abroad, and finals, I knew that if I didn't get them done before midterms they would add extra, unnecessary stress come December. Today they were due in order to receive the promised extra credit and had to be in my professors hand by the time he walked out of the lecture hall at 8:50 am. Last night I printed them all off and set them on my desk, ready to be loaded into my backpack this morning. Something went wrong and rather than waking up at the 7:15 am time that my alarm clock had been set for, I woke up on my own at 8:39. Yes, I had 11 minutes to get up to campus before those papers I had worked hard to get done by midterms would be late and the extra credit would be but a far off fantasy of what might have been. I ran to the bathroom, brushed my teeth (skipped the rinsing and swallowed the paste) threw on some clothes, grabbed the papers and ran out the door. I drove to the closest parking lot and got out of the car at 8:46. I had four minutes remaining until the game was over and I still had an 8 minute walk ahead of me. I sprinted the remaining way and made it into the JFSB, room number B190 just as my professor was walking up the aisle to leave and with sweat dripping down my face and gasping for breath, I safely put my papers on top of the stack he was already holding. Talk about divine intervention, if I would have woken up 30 seconds later I would have been out of luck.
  3. Today there were close to 50 second graders on a field trip to BYU campus. They were walking in a single file line, each holding a plastic ziplock bag full of leaves they had collected along the way. I can't tell you how tempted I was to skip Stats and join them. 2 1/2 more years and I'll be taking kids just like them on similar field trips for my profession. Watching them walk past the JKB today confirmed that I've chosen the right major for me. It made me oh so excited.
  4. One of my favorite things is passing by people when they open a text and their face lights up with excitement. Today I walked past a girl who pulled out her phone and got a smile on her face that reached from ear to ear. Her eyes even smiled. Maybe her boyfriend sent her a cheesy "I love you" text or maybe her best friend sent her something referring to an inside joke they had the night before. All I know is that someone made her a very happy girl, and made me smile just a little too, watching the situation from afar.
  5. My late night jog around Provo in the crisp autumn air. The crunch of leaves under my feet and the smell of October surrounded me while I ran to my latest iTunes purchases. It doesn't get much better than that.
And now, rather than study for my upcoming Stats test, which I should do, I'm going to end this stellar day at the international cinema watching the Japanese version of "The Ring" to get me in more of a Halloween-y mood. Words can't express how much I love international cinema.

And a special shout out to my little brother Ethan who just made the Junior High basketball team, so happy for you, buddy.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, either you have a really entertaining life or you are just a really good writer. Either way, your date story made me wince several times. Oh dear, boys have an AMAZING capacity for "the awkward factor". My sympathies! Your #4 is one of my favorite things about "people watching"...that's a creepy name for it, but everyone does it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay. kind of copied your literary motif on my blog. hope you don't think i'm a copy-cat. and if you do, i'll change it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacie, why don't I see you more at International Cinema? I think I should...
    by the way, I know feel like I keep saying this, but you have SUCH a natural gift for writing. It's wonderful. You should really do something with that someday. (I mean, other than using it to amuse your friends with this delighftul blog)
    :)

    ReplyDelete