Saturday, October 31, 2009

Little Letters: A Little Old

Purely from my own observation, it seems to be that currently the craze in the blogging world are "Little Letters." You know the ones, where letters are written to anyone, but more particularly, anything. Bloggers are trying to become pen pals with inanimate objects. I find it a strange practice. I'll admit, I found it clever and cute the first 700 times I saw it, but I've seen well over 700 now and the cleverness and cuteness is quickly wearing off. One night, just a week or two ago, Megan and I were walking up to campus for a late night study session when this very subject of "Little Letters" became a topic of conversation. We soon began orally composing letters to everything around us, for example, "Dear Moon, Thank you for being so full, you really make the evening quite lovely" and others similar to this. By the time we reached the library we had nearly peed our pants from laughing so hard.
The next afternoon as I was sitting in the library, drained from reading too many pages about commerce in Amsterdam, I pulled out my computer to take a little break by completing a short Facebook check. To my delight and surprise I had one notification: Megan had written on my wall. As I clicked on my profile and read what she had to say, I let out a giggle, causing my fellow studiers to glance my way in annoyance. Here's what I saw:

Dear Mother Autumn,

Thank you for being so nice to me today. Thank you for the pretty leaves. I wish you could stay forever, I've loved having you in town. That's all.

Love,Megan


Because she had provided me with laugh, thought it only fair that I comment on the post and give her one (or two) back:

Dear Facebook,
Thank you for giving me a break from studying today. Oh, how I got
a laugh out of this post. I don't know what I would do without you.

Dear Feet,
Thank you for getting me to campus this morning. I'm sorry that I wear ouchy shoes sometimes. I really do appreciate you.

Love, Stacie

Megan and I are both Facebook friends with a man named Richard Peters. Richard Peters isn't real. He is a dummy and his account is being run and operated by a friend of a friend of Megan's. He must have seen our "little letters" and wanted to join in the fun. He wins for the best/funniest/most creative "little letter" hands down:

Dear Butt Cheeks,

Thank you for making everyday a joy. What with your fart muffling capabilities and your soft cushioning to provide ample comfort while sitting. I hope you never change.

Love, Richard

I laughed real hard when I read that. And when I'm in a need for a good laugh, I go back and read it again. If all "little letters" were like Richard's perhaps I wouldn't think the concept was so overused. Unfortunately, the majority of them are more similar to mine and Megan's letters.
I'm so ready for this craze to come to an end.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Daily Dose of Diction,
    Thank you for making me laugh right out loud. Really hard.
    Love Madre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilty. My apologies. I agree. I'll see what I can do to change that.

    ReplyDelete