Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lessons Learned

Two weeks ago today I entered room number 315 and experienced my first day of Art History 201 with Professor Gough. After my first 2 1/2 hour session with him I was convinced I had just walked out of class at Hogwarts; this man is Dumbledore's doppelganger, and I reluctantly admit that I was a little hesitant about the class/professor. Now, just four classes later, I'm sitting at home anxiously awaiting for 5:00 p.m. to roll around so I can sit in awe as he teaches brilliantly about the art of Ancient Egypt. The 2 1/2 hour class flies by as he so passionately shares his wealth of knowledge with the eleven other people in the class. Every Tuesday and Thursday I walk out of that room with a cramp in my right hand so severe it requires a mini-massage, just from trying to scribble every word that comes out of his mouth down in my red, wide ruled notebook. I have never in my life had a professor so passionate about the subject he teaches. Art is this mans life. And I've realized that is why I love the class so much: he is so ardent about what he teaches and then projects that passion in his class, all in an attempt to cultivate a love of art in his students. It's working. For the past three hours I've been working on a paper for the class and I can honestly say, I've never had more fun writing a 5-7 page paper. Professor Gough has provided me with a life lesson. Ten years from now I'm not going to remember the dimensions of Khufu's Great Pyramids or that the Stela of Hammurabi contains the first written code of law, but I will remember Professor Gough's passion for what he teaches. Although Art History isn't necessarily my calling in life, I have learned from this class that the best teachers and people in general are the ones who love life and are passionate about living life to it's fullest. I think the world at hand could use a few more people like Professor Gough. What do you say? Join in with him and become passionate about whatever it is you do. I'm going to.

3 comments:

  1. thank you for using the word doppleganger in a sentence. also thank you for the harry potter reference. this man sounds like a real gem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 13, 2009

    I love Art History! Way to go Prof. Gough. What the world needs now (apart from "love, sweet love") is more professors who are passionate about what they teach. Thanks for sharing, Stacey! You are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds amazing, Stace! My mother is really trying to get me to take some art history classes (her major at the good old Y); maybe if I could take it from Dumbledore's doppleganger, it'd be worth it!
    p.s. Good for you for having classes in the summer. Oh that I could be so productive.

    ReplyDelete