Friday, March 27, 2009

The Mystery of Moustaches

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could inform me on what the appeal of a moustache is. I just don't get it. I'm not sure if I've been oblivious to it my whole life or if I'm correct when I say that I've noticed that an unusually high number of male characters have been sporting staches lately. Maybe the month of March is the prime time to grow a moustache? If that's the case, I'm boycotting March. This past week as I've been strolling around campus, visiting the post office in the WILK and interacting with men in general I couldn't help but observe that a moustache plague has hit Provo. I really don't understand the enticement of a little tuft of hair covering the upper lip; lets be honest, it's slightly disgusting. I can see the theory behind a full-grown beard: it gives the appearance of being a manly-man, it adds a little ruggedness and gives the illusion that the man wearing the facial hair is "tough". I can handle a small beard. A moustache, however, just screams 'child molester'. I'm willing to bet any amount of money that if there's a story on the 5 o'clock news about a child molester he's going to be the proud owner of a stache...not a beard. This latest phenomenon has made me question BYU's honor code which states, and I quote, "If worn, moustaches should be neatly trimmed and may not extend beyond or below the corners of the mouth. Men are expected to be clean shaven; beards are not acceptable." Really BYU? You allow moustaches but not a few whiskers on the cheek? I'm not a big fan of facial hair in general, but I can promise you this: I'd rather have a rugged caveman roaming around campus than a potential molester.

{My deepest apologies if this post has offended anyone. I am aware that this is a huge stereotype and I know plenty of good, kind men who sport a stache. However, this does not mean that I support their decision to wear one.}

3 comments:

  1. It's mustache march, stace.
    get with it.

    ps. i realize that we have spelled mustache differently.
    The automatic spell checker on my work computer tells me that this is the correct spelling.
    Just fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an occasionally mustachioed man, I think I'm a little offended right now, Stacie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry Brandon...I suppose for a Christmas party a stache might be acceptable?

    ReplyDelete