Sunday, March 15, 2009

What a Weekend

This weekend was a very eventful one. Good, but eventful. I'm a list-maker, so here's my list of this weekends happenings:

1. BYU Baseball:

This weekend, the BYU Baseball team played the arched enemy, Utah. We won one, lost one. I was only able to go to the game on Friday, but it was loads of fun. I'm not the biggest sports fan by any means, but I love a good baseball game. I think it's safe to say that baseball games are my favorite sporting events to attend. Some people think they're boring to watch, but I can't get enough of them. This game was especially fun, because first, we played Utah so the stands were 100% filled. Second, three boys in my ward play for the team so I felt pretty legit when they walked on the field and I could point out that I knew them, it's kind of cool knowing famous people. Third, about 3/4 of my ward attended the game and we had far too much fun for our own good, snapping pics, burning our tongues on steaming hot cocoa, and freezing our toes off almost to the point of frostbite. I've become an official fan of BYU Baseball and will probably attend every home game from here on out.

2. Hymas Family Bridal Showers:

About every six months we all gather at Aunt Judy's house for the bridal shower of some happy chick. When I say "we" I mean all sorts of distant relatives: all of my dad's girl cousins, their kids, their kid's kids, everyone that has a drop of Hymas blood. There are the usuals that I know and love: Cousins Stacy, Carrie, and Pat (or is it Pam?) never fail to entertain. However, there are some ladies that frequent the showers that I just don't know how they fit into the family tree. Saturday we had one of our bi-annual bridal showers for Heidi, I think she's probably my third cousin eight times removed or something like that. She was adorable and as she opened waffle iron after crock-pot after toaster I just kept thinking that although Helaman Halls and the Cannon Center have treated me well this past year, I can't wait to move home/into an apartment with a kitchen so I can cook my own food. As she unpacked all sorts of cooking appliances I got I huge urge to be domestic; It will probably subside in a day or two though.


Another one of my distant cousins had her 1 year old baby with her. The baby was darling, as all babies are, but I realized how cruel mothers can be. Have you seen the latest trend of accessorizing the baby with a headband that holds a fake flower the size of the child's head? The poor kids. I don't really know this cousin of mine that tortured her baby girl with this headband, so I didn't think it would be appropriate to snap a photo of the baby, however it wasn't hard to find an identical one online. In fact, I found so many and it was too hard narrowing it down to just one, so I feel compelled to display three. Maybe I'm crazy, but if I had a child, I would refuse to participate in this bizarre trend. Let's hope and pray that it's passed by the time I'm having kids.









3.
Job Hunting Stress:

Finding a summer job has turned out to be a bit more stressful than I anticipated. First, we all know how awful the economy is which means employers aren't hiring. Second, I have two vacations planned for this summer that I would need time off for. Most companies aren't willing to work with that kind of schedule. If you have any hook ups, let me know. Oh, and wish me luck in finding some sort of employment for the summer months.

4. So many homecomings:

This past month so many of my big brother, Alex's friends have gotten home from their missions. I was a sophomore in high school when they were seniors and I didn't just have one protective older brother looking out for me. All of his friends helped him fill that role. It was so fun seeing all of them this weekend, it felt just like the good ol' days. I heard two of them, Josh and Spij, give their homecoming talks and they both gave amazing ones. It's been so fun seeing them all again.

5. Lost Phone:

You hear about people who lose their phone almost every other day. I am not one of those people. I don't think I've ever lost my phone for longer than ten minutes. Today, however, I had a phone fiasco. I'm not really sure how it all happened, it was kind of a blur. All I know is that as Alex and I were packing up the car to head back down to Provo, I couldn't find my phone anywhere. I searched the house up and down and finally concluded that my dad must have grabbed it, thinking it was his, and took it with him to the Brookhurst Ward youth fireside. I rushed down to the church, pulled him out of the room, and asked him if he took my phone. He didn't. So I ended up driving down to Provo with out my phone, and took my mom's instead. When we were half way to Provo, I got a phone call on my temporary phone from my dear father telling my that my phone was sitting on the kitchen counter the whole time. Not really sure how I missed it, that's kind of an obvious hiding spot. Thank goodness for a loving mother who is driving down to Provo on Tuesday to return such an important object to its affectionate, yet forgetful, owner.

6. Welcome Back Surprise:

I got back to Provo about two hours ago, walked into my room and saw a lovely surprise sitting on my desk. One of my best friends, Anna, was so kind as to burn me two c.d.'s that I have been asking about. The first one being Juno (I just saw the movie for the first time a couple weeks ago with her and my other besties and loved it. I loved the music in it even more, though) The second c.d. was from an old, childhood movie, Now and Then, a classic movie that has some of the best music from the 90's. Love it. Thanks Anna, you're a gem.

All in all, a superb weekend. The perfect weekend to precede a hectic week full of four very intense tests.

1 comment:

  1. Stacie, I'm so sad I missed the family shower! :) (I was taking the second praxis...something you can look forward to!) I believe it is Pam, not Pat, but really I'm not always sure. How does anyone keep track of all those distant cousins?

    Also, I love the movie "Now and Then"...in fact, Justin gave me the DVD for Christmas this year. It definitely is a classic! Glad you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete